[Poweredgec-tools] C6100 and IPMI/DRAC hang ups

John Hanks john.hanks at usu.edu
Wed Sep 18 10:11:52 CDT 2013

Nigel,

The BMCs on our C6145s are pretty fragile/flaky. When checked this morning
(after them having been power cycled about a month ago) only 4 out of 12
will allow ipmitool to connect over the network. On hosts that fail this
way it is possible to run ipmitool on the localhost from the OS and do a
bmc cold reset and bring the BMC back online for network ipmi access.
Interestingly, when hosts get into this condition, the web interface on the
BMC usually still works, but navigating to multiple web interfaces to power
cycle the hosts is fairly annoying.

jbh