[Linux-PowerEdge] rhel8 openamange repo

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 08:26:03 CST 2019

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]

Howdy,

I think the Red Hat + Dell partnership is very puzzling.  A couple of
points in this area.  Red Hat removed kernel module support for many
SAS controllers still out in the wild within Dell servers, see
https://access.redhat.com/discussions/3722151 .  If you have access to
that thread, you will see Red Hat folks encourage customers to contact
Red Hat technical support for details on why Red Hat did this.  To my
knowledge, there is no document explaining why.

So I figured I would go down that rabbit hole and it basically went no
where.  After a number of months, Red Hat came back with that Dell is
not supporting even RHEL7 on many of the servers I want to support
with RHEL8.  There was also a doubt if any Dell server supported RHEL8
even.

Another crazy point was that I continue to get warranty solicitations
from Dell to support the hardware Red Hat claims Dell does not
support.  When I pointed out to Red Hat these warranty emails, the
excuse was that Dell was supporting the hardware with a given software
install and not just the hardware itself with whatever software is
being used.  That's crazy talk.

I just probably yelled into the void here, but anyway.  I am happy to
be proven wrong on any of these points.  My gut tells me this is just
the corruption of Red Hat that was sure to come with IBM.

daryl