[Linux-PowerEdge] T7820 one bad DIMM among 8: which one?

R S rene.shuster at bcsemail.org
Wed Feb 13 08:40:45 CST 2019

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]

Invoke the ePSA Diagnostic from Dell. It will test the hardware and if the
RAM is bad it will tell you the slot. It's built into each Dell device.
Press F10 or F12 during POST -> System Utilities -> System Diagnostic. The
wording might be different.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 3:44 AM Tru Huynh <tru at pasteur.fr> wrote:

> [EXTERNAL EMAIL]
>
> Hello,
>
> Thanks for you reply :)
>
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 11:38:18PM -0500, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> >       It keeps saying "channel:2 slot:0" or "channel:2 dimm:0", so you
> > can associate that with the dmidecode output.
>
> dmidecode -t memory:
> Handle 0x000E, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
> Memory Device
>         Array Handle: 0x000B
>         Error Information Handle: Not Provided
>         Total Width: 72 bits
>         Data Width: 64 bits
>         Size: 16384 MB
>         Form Factor: DIMM
>         Set: None
>         Locator: DIMM3_CPU0
>         Bank Locator: Not Specified
>         Type: DDR4
>         Type Detail: Synchronous
>         Speed: 2666 MT/s
>         Manufacturer: Hynix
>         Serial Number: 11CA5EC4
>         Asset Tag: 01180251
>         Part Number: HMA82GR7AFR8N-VK
>         Rank: 2
>         Configured Clock Speed: 2400 MT/s
>         Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
>         Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V
>         Configured Voltage: 1.2 V
> dmidecode -t memory| grep CPU
>         Locator: DIMM5_CPU0
>         Locator: DIMM3_CPU0
>         Locator: DIMM1_CPU0
>         Locator: DIMM6_CPU0
>         Locator: DIMM4_CPU0
>         Locator: DIMM2_CPU0
>         Locator: DIMM5_CPU1
>         Locator: DIMM3_CPU1
>         Locator: DIMM1_CPU1
>         Locator: DIMM6_CPU1
>         Locator: DIMM4_CPU1
>         Locator: DIMM2_CPU1
>
> No idea how that match the channel/slot or channel/dimm numbering.
>
> > Pop the cover open and stick your head there. Chances are you will see
> > a table listing all the memory slots and how they are called; it might
> > be in a sticker under the cover. How are they called? I mean,
> > channel:2 dimm:0 sounds like the first memory slot in the 3rd bank.
> I will have a look later on.
> >
> > Have you asked the DRAC what's up?
> It's precision workstation, no idrac available as far as I know.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tru
> --
> Dr Tru Huynh | mailto:tru at pasteur.fr | tel +33 1 45 68 87 37
> https://research.pasteur.fr/en/team/structural-bioinformatics/
> Institut Pasteur, 25-28 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris CEDEX 15 France

Tech III * AppControl * Endpoint Protection * Server Maintenance
Buncombe County Schools Technology Department Network Group
ComicSans Awareness Campaign <http://comicsanscriminal.com>