[Linux-PowerEdge] T7820 one bad DIMM among 8: which one?

Tru Huynh tru at pasteur.fr
Wed Feb 13 02:42:53 CST 2019

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]

Hello,

Thanks for you reply :)

On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 11:38:18PM -0500, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>       It keeps saying "channel:2 slot:0" or "channel:2 dimm:0", so you
> can associate that with the dmidecode output.

dmidecode -t memory:
Handle 0x000E, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x000B
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 72 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 16384 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: DIMM3_CPU0
        Bank Locator: Not Specified
        Type: DDR4
        Type Detail: Synchronous
        Speed: 2666 MT/s
        Manufacturer: Hynix
        Serial Number: 11CA5EC4
        Asset Tag: 01180251
        Part Number: HMA82GR7AFR8N-VK
        Rank: 2
        Configured Clock Speed: 2400 MT/s
        Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
        Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V
        Configured Voltage: 1.2 V
dmidecode -t memory| grep CPU
        Locator: DIMM5_CPU0
        Locator: DIMM3_CPU0
        Locator: DIMM1_CPU0
        Locator: DIMM6_CPU0
        Locator: DIMM4_CPU0
        Locator: DIMM2_CPU0
        Locator: DIMM5_CPU1
        Locator: DIMM3_CPU1
        Locator: DIMM1_CPU1
        Locator: DIMM6_CPU1
        Locator: DIMM4_CPU1
        Locator: DIMM2_CPU1

No idea how that match the channel/slot or channel/dimm numbering.

> Pop the cover open and stick your head there. Chances are you will see
> a table listing all the memory slots and how they are called; it might
> be in a sticker under the cover. How are they called? I mean,
> channel:2 dimm:0 sounds like the first memory slot in the 3rd bank.
I will have a look later on.

> Have you asked the DRAC what's up?
It's precision workstation, no idrac available as far as I know.

Thanks

Tru
--
Dr Tru Huynh | mailto:tru at pasteur.fr | tel +33 1 45 68 87 37