[Linux-PowerEdge] uefi boot order changing

Klaus Steden klausfiend at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 18:49:07 CDT 2018

Hi,

There is an IPMI module written in pure Python from the OpenStack project
called 'pyghmi', assuming your hardware supports it, one of the methods
supported by the library will return the name of the current boot device:

from pyghmi.ipmi import command as ipmitool

def chassis_get_bootdev(ip, username, password):
    bootdev = {}
    try:
        ipmi = ipmitool.Command(ip, username, password)
        bootdev = ipmi.get_bootdev()
    except Exception as e:
        print (str(e))

    if bootdev.get('bootdev'):
        bootdev['bootdev'] = get_bootdev_alias(bootdev['bootdev'])
    return bootdev

get_bootdev_alias() is just a Python function that converts pyghmi's native
hardware names to names that match what 'ipmitool' uses, e.g. 'network' is
returned as 'pxe', 'hd' is returned as 'disk', etc.

You could pretty easily make some sort of script out of this to interrogate
your iDRACs to get an idea of what they're doing; for extra fun, you can
use pyghmi's 'set_bootdev()' method to change them trivially as well.

cheers,
Klaus