[Linux-PowerEdge] PowerEdge 1950 Raid Monitoring

Paul A razor at meganet.net
Tue Jul 24 17:19:01 CDT 2018

I have just finished putting together a DNS server on a Dell PowerEdge 1950
with CentOS 7. I tried to installing OMSA multiple times and could not get
it to work. I got warnings about non-supporting OS/Architecture when I tried
to install through Dell's repo and manually. I researched this issue in
length and it seems that you can't get any version of OSMA to work on the
dell 1950 with Centos 7.

What I really want at this point is to monitor the RAID array health, I
would like to know if the disk is failing or has failed. At this point I'm
willing to give up OMSA and being able to do RAID tasks live on the server.
So what are other recommended ways to monitor the Raid array? I have used
smartctl and ipmitool to let limited info on the disks but Im looking for
something that will email/warn me when a disk has failed.

We use Solarwinds for monitoring and I was thinking of using SNMP, but I
read you still need OMSA in order to have SolarWinds monitor your server via
SNMP, can someone confirm this? If this is not the case what OIDS do I need
to monitor and what should their status be? Also do I need to download the
mibs from dell and put them on the server? I have never used the Mibs/snmp
to monitor Dell servers always OMSA but now I need another solution to
monitor the array.

Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction and profile me with some
help/links on an alternative to OMSA, using either SNMP/impitool/smartctl or
something else that Im not aware of. Again my main concern at this point is
to be able to get warnings on failed disk. If we can use our solarwinds via
snmp that would be great but im open to other suggestions.

BTW I read and tried all the hacks for OMSA 7.4.1 on CentOS and none of them
worked for me.

Thanks, Paul