[Linux-PowerEdge] 13th gen server stuck in cpu reset loop with new chips (PSU issue?)

R S rene.shuster at bcsemail.org
Mon Jul 9 05:58:23 CDT 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dell_PowerEdge_Servers#Generation_13
states that the T430 is based on the C610 chipset. The C610/X99 chipset
supports both the v3 and v4 E5-16xx and E5-26xx CPUs according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_X99

Digging a bit deeper reveals that Dell has updated the BIOS of the T430
several times with v4 Microcode (e.g. https://www.dell.com/support/h
ome/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=GC4J0 ).

Initial support for v4 was added to the BIOS in May 2016:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/Dri
versDetails?driverId=YHV3K

It would be helpful if Dell would release an overview of heatsink
compatibility in regards of TDP as we have no idea if the stock heatsink
that came with your server is able/designed to dissipate 105W of heat (TDP).

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 6:30 PM, <vincent at cojot.name> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Does anyone know if a pair of E5-2658 v4 chips (105W) might be compatible
> with a Dell PE T430 ?
> I don't see these chips listed for the T430 but I suspect this may be
> because they were released after the last update of the server specs.
> Anyone reason why they woupdn't work?
> Otherwise I would go for a 2640-V4 but it onky has 10 cores..
> Thanks for additionnal insights,
> Regards,
>

> Vincent

Tech III * AppControl * Endpoint Protection * Server Maintenance
Buncombe County Schools Technology Department Network Group
ComicSans Awareness Campaign <http://comicsanscriminal.com>