[Linux-PowerEdge] DSU fails again...

Rajib_Saha at Dell.com Rajib_Saha at Dell.com
Wed Aug 2 06:11:24 CDT 2017

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential

Systems-Management_Application_DT30R_LN64_2.5_A00<http://www.dell.com/support/home/ee/en/eebsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=DT30R&lwp=rt> is for Linux. Check the supported OS matrix. It does have enterprise Linux support.

SciLinux is not something officially supported. For your issue, try installing OpenIPMI package before running DSU.

Thanks,

Rajib.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Stephen Berg (Contractor)
Sent: Wednesday, August 2, 2017 4:27 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists <linux-poweredge at lists.us.dell.com>
Subject: Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] DSU fails again...

I wanted to look at the software to see exactly what it does, what it provides to make a decision if it might be useful.  But after researching a bit more it looks as if it's a windows only piece of software.  My first thought was this would be a linux version of iSM.

Apparently not.

That brings up another question.  Why would dsu running on linux offer to install/upgrade a windows only package?  Seems to me dsu shouldn't even check for it's existence or available updates.

On 08/02/2017 05:38 AM, Rene Shuster wrote:

> The iDRAC Service Module is not firmware. It's an optional application.

> Consider the pros and cons of adding additional software to your

> servers before installing (increased attack surface vs. added

> features/insight through iSM).

> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 6:07 AM, Stephen Berg (Contractor) <

> stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil<mailto:stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil>> wrote:

>> Anyone else seeing this?  R730xd running SciLinux 7.3, ran DSU, I see

>> the following (trimmed the output to save space):

>> -------------------

>> Fetching invcol_M18HC_LN64_17.06.000.1171_A00 ...

>> [ ]8 OpenManage | iDRAC Service Module Current Version : 0 Upgrade to

>> : 2.5

>> Fetching Systems-Management_Application_DT30R_LN64_2.5_A00 ...

>> Installing Systems-Management_Application_DT30R_LN64_2.5_A00

>> OpenManage || iDRAC Service Module

>> No version of this Update Package is currently installed.

>> Software application name: OpenManage | iDRAC Service Module Package

>> version: 2.5

>> Executing update...

>> WARNING: DO NOT STOP THIS PROCESS OR INSTALL OTHER DELL PRODUCTS

>> WHILE UPDATE IS IN PROGRESS.

>> THESE ACTIONS MAY CAUSE YOUR SYSTEM TO BECOME UNSTABLE!

>> Update Prereq not available

>> Systems-Management_Application_DT30R_LN64_2.5_A00 could not be

>> installed Done! Please run 'dsu --inventory' to check the inventory

>> Exiting DSU!

>> -------------------

>> So it sees an update, but can't install it.  If there's a missing

>> prerequisite shouldn't it let me know that that is so I can solve it

>> and get this update?

>> --

>> *Stephen Berg*

>> Systems Administrator