[Linux-PowerEdge] PowerEdge R210ii, Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, and iDRAC6/IPMI

Peter Williams peter at newton.cx
Tue Sep 13 10:46:35 CDT 2016

Thanks! If I'm interpreting you correctly, it sounds like I *must* to
have some kind of VLAN tagging set up in order for network access to
work on a shared iDRAC/host Ethernet port?

To reveal my ignorance ... this machine has the embedded two-port
Broadcom Ethernet NIC(s), and a four-port Intel Ethernet card in the
PCIe expansion slot. They show up in Ubuntu's 'lspci' thusly:

  03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
  03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
  04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
  04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
  05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5716 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
  05:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5716 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)

Is "NIC 1" the pair of Broadcom controllers, or just the first port?
Are "NIC" and "LOM" interchangeable terms here? The first embedded port
is currently connected to a switch that I don't control, but other
ports are, so it's possible that by swapping cables I could get this
VLAN tagging stuff to work.

Thanks,

Peter