[Linux-PowerEdge] PowerEdge R210ii, Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS, and iDRAC6/IPMI

john lists at cloned.org.uk
Tue Sep 13 10:21:52 CDT 2016

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016, Peter Williams wrote:

Not sure about the local RAC operations you refer to.

> While I'm at it ... the docs on network-based management seem to say
> that the OS needs to support "teaming" on the NIC for things to work.
> Is this something that should just magically work in my setup, or do I
> need to do some special configuration in the Ubuntu install?

You can get the iDRAC to work on the same NIC without the OS knowing about
it.. no need for teaming. I believe when we did this on Cisco switches we
set the port to trunk mode and added the VLAN for the iDRAC on to the
trunk on the switch and set the VLAN within the appropriate network
settings in the iDRAC at ctrl+e.

Then you set your switch port to have a native vlan of whatever the server
OS should be on, and also need this vlan added to the trunk.

The OS is then oblivious to the other vlan on the port but the DRAC should
work also. If you don't have access to get port changes done then you
might be out of luck unless you can put the DRAC on the other NIC?

With regards remote management, you won't get console access with an iDRAC
express but should get ability to do power control and see fan status etc.

john