[Linux-PowerEdge] what is the Consistency check error message look like?

Jon Schewe jschewe at bbn.com
Thu Sep 8 10:06:01 CDT 2016

I've done 2 things for my servers.

1) Setup my iDRAC to send me emails on failures of drives.

2) Add the following to root's crontab. Then I have logcheck configured
to send me log messages and the failure will show up there.

# check RAID disk consistency
0 0 1 * * /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/omconfig storage vdisk
action=checkconsistency controller=0 vdisk=0 | grep -v "successful"

On 9/8/16 9:23 AM, Robert Jacobson wrote:

> I recently learned that Dell recommends that we run periodically (e.g.
> monthly) consistency checks on all RAID volumes.
>

> I have implemented these checks via cron on Linux and scheduled tasks
> on Windows.  Here's an example completion message on Linux (CentOS 6)
> (from /var/log/messages):
>

> 2016-09-08T10:27:46+00:00 wfep1 Server_Administrator: 13396 2085 -
> Storage Service  Virtual disk Check Consistency completed:  Virtual
> Disk 1 (fepdata) Controller 0 (PERC H710 Mini)
>

> I get a lot of these messages.  What I'd like to do is filter out all
> the good messages and only see the messages when the check fails.
> Unfortunately I have no idea what this failure message might look
> like.  The above doesn't even say it completed with no errors or anything!
>

> On Windows these errors appear to be more explicit -- or rather, there
> are different Event IDs for the different results. Reference:
> http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/177/p/19463854/20172547
>

> Reproduced here:
>
>   * Event ID: 2085
>       o Text for email: Consistency check completed with no errors
>   * Event ID: 2076
>       o Text for email: Consistency check failed to complete
>   * Event ID: 2341
>       o Text for email: Consistency check completed with corrections
>   * Event ID: 2397
>       o Text for email: Consistency check completed, but encountered
>         uncorrectable errors
>
> So, what do those exit states look like on Linux?  I suppose I have
> one equivalent to Event ID 2085 already.  What about the others?

Jon Schewe
Research Scientist
Raytheon BBN Technologies
5775 Wayzata Blvd, Ste 630