[Linux-PowerEdge] Request: improve script quality

Santosh_Gore at Dell.com Santosh_Gore at Dell.com
Mon Aug 29 22:49:33 CDT 2016

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential

Thanks for providing the details. We will plan to address this issue in future release of updates.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2016 2:52 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists <linux-poweredge at lists.us.dell.com>
Subject: Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] Request: improve script quality

>    Thanks for feedback.  We are able to install the same package successfully
>    on the RHEL operating system. What is operating system installed on your
>    system?

 CentOS 6.

Sven Ulland writes:
> This is due to the DUP scripts being written in bash, but the
> interpreter (shebang on the first line) points to /bin/sh. On RHEL and
> related systems, this is fine, because /bin/sh will invoke a shell
> with full bash compatibility. On others, like those derived from
> Debian, /bin/sh will invoke a shell with only bourne compatibility
> (not bourne *again*), or more recently, a more POSIX sh-like shell like dash.
>
> I would suggest to fix the DUP infrastructure to use the appropriate
> script interpreter (i.e. setting it to /bin/bash), so that it works on
> platforms other than RHEL/etc.

# lsb_release -d
# ll /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Jun 14 10:53 /bin/sh -> bash #

 CentOS is supposed to be fully compatible with RHEL. This is not a matter of  RHEL vs. others, it'a a matter of poor coding. E.g. from  Diagnostics_Application_298ND_LN64_2.0_A00-2.0-16.08.00.noarch.rpm,
 Diagnostics_Application_298ND_LN64_2.0_A00.BIN :

getPSCommand()
{
        _ESXiSYSTEM=$(checkIfESXi)
        if [ $_ESXiSYSTEM = 0 ]; then
                echo "ps"
        else
                echo "ps -e"
        fi
}

 $_ESXiSYSTEM needs to be quoted. Trivial error, trivial fix. There are many  more instances.