[Linux-PowerEdge] PowerEdge R715 memory upgrade question

Łukasz Zygmański vins at umk.pl
Wed Aug 24 04:04:58 CDT 2016

Dear PowerEdge owners,

I would like to upgrade memory in my university's R715. Currently we
have 16*16GB LV RDIMMs, but would like to replace them all with 16*32GB
RDIMMs (A7187321). Did anyone tried that before?

My biggest concern is that Polish Dell Support told me that it isn't
possible and the only way to upgrade my memory is to use A6994476 (4Rx4
DDR3 RDIMM 1333MHz LV) memory modules, which by the way are far more
expensive.

However the page:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&sku=A7187321
states that the 32GB DDR3 LRDIMM 1866MHz is supported by the R715.

Does someone have any idea why the A7187321 memory modules wouldn't work
with the R715?

Yours sincerely
Lukasz Zygmanski

--
Łukasz Zygmański

Uczelniane Centrum               Information & Communication
Informatyczne                    Technology Centre
Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika   Nicolaus Copernicus University
Coll. Maximum, pl. Rapackiego 1, 87-100 Torun, Poland
tel.: +48 56 611 27 36  fax: +48 56-622-18-50
email: Lukasz.Zygmanski at umk.pl