[Linux-PowerEdge] EDAC support for Intel Haswell devices

Brent Kimberley Brent.Kimberley at Durham.ca
Mon Aug 22 07:44:27 CDT 2016

Based on the following, I would converse with Aristeu Rozanski and keep an eye on changes to sb_edac.c.

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wiki/EDAC_Driver_Feature_Matrix

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent Kimberley
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2016 8:42 AM
To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
Cc: 'Paul Menzel' <pmenzel at molgen.mpg.de>
Subject: EDAC support for Intel Haswell devices

Support for EDAC on Intel Haswell microarchitecture Solution In Progress  - Updated June 1 2015 at 6:33 AM
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/495983
Issue
*Ensure support for EDAC on Intel Haswell microarchitecture

The following is likely out of date.
<snip> Users of CPUs belonging to the Intel Haswell and Broadwell processor families in particular must install these microcode updates to ensure system stability. But all Intel users should install the updates as a matter of course. </snip> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24661

>> Dear John,
>>
>> Correct me if I am wrong, but after searching for 15 minutes on the
>> Web, I wasn't able to find any source package and only RPM packages
>> for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Linux Enterprise Servers.
>>
>> We use our custom GNU/Linux distribution, and have a guideline to not
>> install proprietary software.
>>
>> If OMSA is proprietary software, then it?s out of question.
>>
>> That?s the problem here already in my opinion. You shouldn?t have to
>> install separate tools for certain vendors. The same tools should be
>> usable on all systems. That?s what standards are for, aren?t they?
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Paul Menzel
THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE USE OF THE INTENDED RECIPIENT(S) ONLY AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY, CONFIDENTIAL, AND/OR EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER ANY RELEVANT PRIVACY LEGISLATION. No rights to any privilege have been waived. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying, conversion to hard copy, taking of action in reliance on or other use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please notify me by return e-mail and delete or destroy all copies of this message.