[Linux-PowerEdge] Missing EDAC support for Intel Haswell devices

Paul Menzel pmenzel at molgen.mpg.de
Mon Aug 22 06:38:39 CDT 2016

Dear John,

On 08/22/16 12:29, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2016, Paul Menzel wrote:
>
>>>  BMC supports all it needs to support, so fault reports will be reported
>>>  via DRAC / esmlog, no?
>>
>> That’s the first time I hear about esmlog. How do I install it?
>
> AFAIK OMSA catches messages about ECC errors and reports them itself.  That
> can get picked up by anything you use to monitor OMSA, and you can get full
> details out of the ESM log.

Correct me if I am wrong, but after searching for 15 minutes on the Web,
I wasn’t able to find any source package and only RPM packages for Red
Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Linux Enterprise Servers.

We use our custom GNU/Linux distribution, and have a guideline to not
install proprietary software.

If OMSA is proprietary software, then it’s out of question.

>>>  What are you actually missing out on due to this lack of support?
>>
>> To use the standard utilities, I am used to.
>
> On Dells I just monitor OMSA via Nagios, which catches a multitude of sins.

That’s the problem here already in my opinion. You shouldn’t have to
install separate tools for certain vendors. The same tools should be
usable on all systems. That’s what standards are for, aren’t they?

What am I missing?

Best regards,

Paul Menzel