[Linux-PowerEdge] Mixing speed - 15k and 7, 5k RPMs SAS HDD in the same raid5 array

Brent Kimberley Brent.Kimberley at Durham.ca
Fri Aug 12 06:02:19 CDT 2016

Drop in a flash disk instead. ;-)

  Original Message
From: Brent Kimberley
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2016 13:23
To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
Cc: 'kadafax at gmail.com'
Subject: [Linux-PowerEdge] Mixing speed - 15k and 7, 5k RPMs SAS HDD in the same raid5 array

>>On a PE R720, with a PERC H710P Mini and a 8 (15k RPM SAS 6Gb - 600GB) drives RAID5 array, can I replace one faulty HDD with a 7,5k RPM SAS 6Gb - 2TB drive ?

I would recommend examining the applicable hardware and software release notes for your HBA.

Assumptions:
1) PERC H710P Mini -> LSI SAS2208
2) 8 disks x 15k rpm ->  ST3600057SS
        {Cache: 16MB, Average Seek Time: 3.4ms, Average Write Time: 3.9ms, Average Latency: 2ms}
3) 1 disk x 7,5k rpm -> ES.3 ST32000445SS
        {Cache: 128MB, Average Seek Time: 8.5ms ms, Average Write Time: 9.5ms ms, Average Latency: 4.16ms}
THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE USE OF THE INTENDED RECIPIENT(S) ONLY AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY, CONFIDENTIAL, AND/OR EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER ANY RELEVANT PRIVACY LEGISLATION. No rights to any privilege have been waived. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying, conversion to hard copy, taking of action in reliance on or other use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please notify me by return e-mail and delete or destroy all copies of this message.