[Linux-PowerEdge] Mixing speed - 15k and 7, 5k RPMs SAS HDD in the same raid5 array

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Thu Aug 11 10:01:24 CDT 2016

Yes. You can mix drives of different sizes and speeds as long as A) the
drives are of the same type (no mixing SATA & SAS or mixing HDDs & SSDs
in the same array) and B) the new drives are the same size or larger
than the drive they are replacing.

Please note, installing slower drives may lead to significant
performance degradation of the array. I wouldn't recommend mixing
online(SSD/15k) and nearline(7.2k) storage in the same array.