[Linux-PowerEdge] Need help with botched firmware update

Rene Shuster rene.shuster at bcsemail.org
Mon Aug 1 09:34:03 CDT 2016

LHecking,
In the past half decade I ran into so many problems when updating NIC
firmware through LC that I switched to a bootable Firmware Update ISO based
on Linux. It never failed me in the last 2 years updating dozens of R720s,
R710s, T710, R610 and T610s. Should be mount- and bootable through iDRAC
although I never tried since I have physical access to them.

You can create it with the Dell Repository Manager or download a
pre-authored one that includes every possible FW for a particular model.
The pre-authored one you are looking for is located here:
https://dell.app.box.com/v/bootabler720xd
Appropriately adjust the link for other models (e.g. the ISO for the R710
is located @ https://dell.app.box.com/v/bootabler710).

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Robert Jacobson <teridon at gmail.com> wrote:

> What model NIC?  I had a similar issue with some Intel I350 cards.
>
> IIRC I had to put a DOS-mode Intel utility (BootUtil) onto a floppy image
> and boot from it via the DRAC.   I don't have access to my notes at the
> moment to give you exact details, but BootUtil fixed the cards' firmware.
>
> On Jul 30, 2016 7:30 PM, <lhecking at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>

>>  In brief: I ran dsu on an R720xd that had never seen a firmware update
>> since
>>  it was commissioned years ago. The NIC fw updates failed and seem to have
>>  damaged the NICs or left them in an inconsistent state. It is no longer
>>  possible to connect via network.
>>
>>  The machine is in a remote location and I will advise local support to
>> swap
>>  in a new NIC card to bring it back online.
>>
>>  As we still have iDRAC console access, is there anything to try and
>> recover
>>  this situation? Reboot does not help, or power cycling. What about power
>>  cycling and unplugging power? An attempt to upgrade firmwares again via
>>  Lifecycle controller will not work as there is no connectivity. Firmware
>>  upgrade attempt via virtual media?
>>
>>  I can't right now find out if it is still under support ...

Tech III * AppControl * Endpoint Protection * Server Maintenance
Buncombe County Schools Technology Department Network Group
ComicSans Awareness Campaign <http://comicsanscriminal.com>