[Linux-PowerEdge] Question about PERC battery failure messages....

Stefan M. Radman smr at kmi.com
Wed Sep 23 16:15:18 CDT 2015

Hi Alain,

> nothing to be concerned about, it is just for information

I fundamentally disagree that a RAID battery failure message is just for information and nothing to be concerned about.

Stefan

On Sep 23, 2015, at 1:27 PM, Alain Péan <alain.pean at lpn.cnrs.fr<mailto:alain.pean at lpn.cnrs.fr>> wrote:

Hi Becky,

Le 21/09/2015 21:07, Becky Ligon a écrit :
I have the DELL R720XD with the embedded PERC 710 MINI.  Randomly, on any one of the 16 servers, the following messages show up in the IDRAC event log:

Fri Sep 18 2015 23:55:40        The PERC1 battery has failed.

Fri Sep 18 2015 23:56:40        The PERC1 battery is operating normally.

Can someone explain to me what is going on here?  Is this something to be concerned about?

No, nothing to be concerned about, it is just for information. The controller battery goes through a discharging/charging cycle a regular interval. Perhaps, it is better that there is no power supply shortage when the battery is discharging, but that's all. I think this cycle is a test to insure taht the battery is still in good shape.

But Dell OMSA issue a warning when this happens.

Alain

--
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Photonique et Nanostructures (LPN/CNRS - UPR20)