[Linux-PowerEdge] Question about PERC battery failure messages....

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpn.cnrs.fr
Wed Sep 23 06:27:29 CDT 2015

Hi Becky,

Le 21/09/2015 21:07, Becky Ligon a écrit :
> I have the DELL R720XD with the embedded PERC 710 MINI.  Randomly, on
> any one of the 16 servers, the following messages show up in the IDRAC
> event log:
>
> Fri Sep 18 2015 23:55:40 	The PERC1 battery has failed.
>

> Fri Sep 18 2015 23:56:40 	The PERC1 battery is operating normally.
>

> Can someone explain to me what is going on here?  Is this something to
> be concerned about?

No, nothing to be concerned about, it is just for information. The
controller battery goes through a discharging/charging cycle a regular
interval. Perhaps, it is better that there is no power supply shortage
when the battery is discharging, but that's all. I think this cycle is a
test to insure taht the battery is still in good shape.

But Dell OMSA issue a warning when this happens.

Alain

--
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Photonique et Nanostructures (LPN/CNRS - UPR20)