[Linux-PowerEdge] Negotiated Speed is different than Capable Speed

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Thu Jul 24 21:00:48 CDT 2014

On 25.07.2014 03:14, Zurd wrote:
> Hi, I have 3 servers and they all exhibit the same problem.
>
> On the OMSA webpage in
> System / Storage / SAS / Connector / Physical Disks and click on Full View
> I see the Negotiated Speed at 1.50 Gbps and the Capable Speed at 3.00 Gbps.
> It should show 3.00 Gbps not 1.50 Gbps.
>
> The motherboard, the hard drive, the PCI Express card, they all support 3
> Gbps but it's not showing it.
>
> First server is a Windows PowerEdge 840 with a SAS 5/iR Adapter card with 4
> HDs. The first 2 HDs are WD2500YS-18SHB1 and they show 3.00 Gbps for both
> the negotiated speed and capable speed. Those 2 HDs came from Dell itself.
> But the 2 others HD, not from Dell, in this server are WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0
> and they show 1.50 Gbps. All of those HDs are using the same cable plugged
> in the same PCI Express card.
>
> Another is a Linux OptiPlex 745 with a SAS 5/iR Adapter with 2 HDs in it.
> Both show 1.50 Gbps of Negotiated Speed. Runs at around 30-40 MB/s when
> tested with hdparm and dd.
>
> The 3rd server is Linux and also has the same problem, I don't have the
> specs right now but I could find it if needed and the HDs are not from Dell
> either.
>
> I'm then wondering if maybe only HDs from Dell can go up to 3 Gbps. Or is
> there a setting needed to be done on other HDs? Anyone can also confirm
> that this is a bug? What do you see in the Negotiated and Capable Speed?

Have you tried updating the firmware on the controller? Unfortunately
Dell tries to force you into buying their HDs by limiting the
capabilities of their controllers if they find non-Dell drives. In the
past they have made their controllers reject other HDs outright and now
if you use a SSD drive with SED capability the controllers will reject
the drive as well unless it contains a Dell ID.

Regards,
  Dennis