[Linux-PowerEdge] Clearing memory errors

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 27 06:02:40 CDT 2014

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014, Karsten Suehring wrote:

> these errors should disappear directly after exchanging a broken DIMM (at
> least they did when I exchanged memory modules). Only a critical entry in
> the ESM log should still be displayed, which would disappear after
> clearing the log. But I did not have to make an exchange on 12G servers
> yet.

As far as I can tell I've cleared the ESM log.  Both with dset, and via
whatever log clearing options were available in the BIOS and DRAC GUI.
Neither worked.

> The usual exchange procedure includes changing the memory module to a
> different bank, to check if the error is related to the module or the
> memory channel. Maybe the problem was not the DIMM, or maybe you
> accidentally replaced a wrong one?

It was DIMM_A1 that was listed.  I replaced that DIMM, the logs, and all
other indicators seem happy in the DRAC GUI.  It's just omreport that seemed
to still be complaining.

> Anyway, I would suggest contacting the Dell support again to clarify the
> issue.

In the end I did a more complete power removal and 'flea power' drain.  That
seems to have fixed it.

Thanks for your comments.

Ben
--
Unix Support, UIS, University of Cambridge, England