[Linux-PowerEdge] 10GbE for PE2900?

Linda A. Walsh dell at tlinx.org
Mon Sep 30 21:36:06 CDT 2013

On 9/30/2013 9:58 AM, Sabuj Pattanayek wrote:

>     Yeah, that's why I followed up with advice to look it up.. think
>     it was
>     the x4 that ws
>     maxed out.. dual 1Gb x full duplex = 4Gb...
>

> Still not sure how that would be possible unless those bandwidths are
> listed incorrectly or there was something else going on with the
> hardware. It lists PCI-E 1.0 x4 gets 10gbps or 1GB/s with 8b/10b
> encoding which would be enough for a quad 1gb nic to run at full duplex.�

You are right.  just looked at Intel's website for 1Gb cards

(http://ark.intel.com/products/family/46829/Intel-Gigabit-Server-Adapters),
and quad adaptors
will work on the lowest end bus PCI-X as well as PCIe x4.

However, the current generation of Intel cards appear to exclusively
use PCIe v2.0 x8
(http://ark.intel.com/products/family/46828/Intel-10-Gigabit-Server-Adapters)

There are some PCIe v1 adapters listed, but I don't know their availability.

That might be an issue with if the PE2900 is  PCI-e-gen-1 .