[Linux-PowerEdge] Add PD to existing VD on H800?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Fri Sep 27 15:48:46 CDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
> > Well, either I'm incredibly dense, or simply haven't found what I'm
> > looking for yet in the documentation...
> >
> > On a PERC H800 installed in a PE2950 (connected to an MD1000), I
> > have
> > a RAID-6 array with 5x3TB drives. I'd like to add a 6th 3TB drive,
> > but I'm not finding any way to do that. The new drive shows up in
> > the H800 BIOS, but simply shows as unconfigured. The only operation
> > I can perform is to make it a global hotspare.
> >
> > Using the PERC BIOS, MegaCli64, and the Megaraid Storage Manager
> > software all show no option, but I have to believe it is possible,
> > no?
> >
> > How do I add the new drive to the existing array? Once added, I
> > assume I can just resize the filesystem to the max extents and
> > remount?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> No bites? I would have expected *somebody* has to have wanted an
> increase in capacity of an existing RAID6 volume with a PERC? :)

Finally found what I was looking for. Namely:

/opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -LDRecon -Start -r6 -add -PhysDrv [8:5] -L0 -a1

This adds the drive at enclosure 8, slot 5 to the first array (Logical volume 0, L0) in RAID6 (r6), on adapter 1 (a1).

Neat.

Now, since it's taken about 1 hour to get to 1% of the reconstruction, I want to increase that speed. It appears I cannot change either RebuildRate or ReconRate while an operation is in progress. Any thoughts on how to stop/pause the reconstruction so I can increase the speed (defaults to 30% O_O )? Or, how to get the settings applied during an operation?

/opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -AdpSetProp ReconRate 75 -A1
/opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -AdpSetProp RebuildRate 75 -A1

These error out with:

Adapter 1: Failed to Set Adapter Properties.

... but are successful when running on a controller with no active tasks running.

Thanks!

--Tim