[Linux-PowerEdge] 10GbE for PE2900?

Anthony Godford epilepticeel at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 27 14:06:12 CDT 2013

As I understand the PCI standards, one design goal they've maintained over the years is that, "If the card fits in the slot, it should work." Ie, 64bit PCI-X cards fitted in a 32bit slot will still work with 32bit transfers (I think the double address cycle for doing 64bit DMA is optional, though.) And do recall that whlie many consumer motherboards that now feature 3 or more PCI-E slots that are physically and mechanically x16, a closer inspection of the manual will reveal that not all of the 'lanes' are actually wired up. The point of this is, if you can fit the card in the slot, it should work.

With respect to performance, a pci-e gen1 x4 is expected to have 1GB/s read and 1GB/s write. An x8 should have 2GB/s read and 2GB/s write.

So, in summary, A, it should and, B, it should not compromise the stability; but the performance impact really can't be predicted without more information as to what specifically is going on. I'd recommend you take measurements for both configurations.

Cheers,
-A