[Linux-PowerEdge] 10GbE for PE2900?

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 15:33:47 CDT 2013

We're using the same Intel X520 or whatever it is that Dell sells with
their latest gen of servers :

0c:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599EB 10-Gigabit SFP+
Network Connection (rev 01)
0c:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599EB 10-Gigabit SFP+
Network Connection (rev 01)

in a PE2950 in one of the x8 slots. Works fine with a few tweaks in
/etc/sysctl.conf :

net.core.rmem_max = 16777216
net.core.wmem_max = 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 524288
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 524288
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_sack=1

We're not using jumbo frames for our mixed 1gb/10gb networks so I have no
idea how that would affect the settings above. You'll have to play with
window_scaling and sack on your own network and iperf to see what's the
best.