[Linux-PowerEdge] Accessing BMC or iDRAC when server is off.

Michael Zoet Michael.Zoet at zoet.de
Tue Sep 24 07:47:25 CDT 2013

Hi Mauro,

> Hello, answer between lines.

> When the server only has BMC, the BMC responds pings?

Yes. For the systems I manage (about 100 Dell Servers with BMC, iDRAC
Express and Enterprise) they all respond to a "ping <BMC_IP_ADRESS>".
I really wonder why they should not reply to ICMP echos? This is
normal behaviour for a TCP/IP network card. And the BMCs are normally
connected via the frist network interface... I have never done
anything to enable a ping except to make sure there is no firewall or
such between the servers that drops ICMP pings.

In my experience with BMCs and iDRACs most of the time, when something
like this does not work, the network configuration is somehow not right.

> Sorry, I mean "OS", here in Argentina we say "SO" because is the
> abbreviation of "Sistema Operativo" (Operating System in english).

Ah! OK! I should really this language ;-).

> When I try the -P option the tool ask me for the password anyway.
> Later I got an error because I can't access the BMC remotely yet,
> but it seems like it ignores the -P option. Is this right?

Are you using "-P <my_totaly_secret_password>" or just "-P"? For me it
works on all systems and it has to work because you could not
automatical check via BMC/iDARC/IPMI without it.

Regards,
Michael