[Linux-PowerEdge] Accessing BMC or iDRAC when server is off.

Mauro Antivero mauro.antivero at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 04:11:06 CDT 2013

Hello, answer between lines.

El 24/09/13 07:10, Michael Zoet escribió:
> Hi Mauro,
>
>> Hello again to all.

>> Both server has the correct IP configuration for management. The R410
>> responds ping to iDRAC IP, but the R310 don't responds ping to the BMC
>> IP. I read somewhere that the BMC don't respond ping, is that right?
>
> By default the BMC should answer on pings like the iDRAC (Express or
> Enterprise) does. Are you really sure that your R310 has the correct
> TCP/IP settings? In my experience a not working BMC/iDRAC network
> setting prevents the BMC/iDRAC from working correctly.
Sorry, but there are people that tell that the BMC don't respond ping
and other people that tell me yes. I'm trying to find this information
in Dell's manuals but I can't find it yet. I'm confused about this.

When the server only has BMC, the BMC responds pings?

>> In all case, besides the CLI (which I currently have no idea how to use
>> it - I downloaded the CLI manual but I don't read anything yet - ), is
>> there any other way to manage the server? For example turning it on or
>> install the SO (the last only with iDRAC).
>>

> I do not know what you mean with "the SO" but for using the command
> line is not that hard as you can use the ipmitool command.
Sorry, I mean "OS", here in Argentina we say "SO" because is the
abbreviation of "Sistema Operativo" (Operating System in english).

> Examples:
>
> "ipmitool -H <IP_OF_BMC/iDRAC> -U root chassis status" - gets you the
> status of the chassis
> "ipmitool -H <IP_OF_BMC/iDRAC> -U root sdr" - gets you various sensor
> information
> "ipmitool -H <IP_OF_BMC/iDRAC> -U root power on" - starts the server
> "ipmitool -H <IP_OF_BMC/iDRAC> -U root power off" - shuts down the server
Excellent examples. I will try them when I solve the problem that I
described in the previous e-mail to the list (I can't acces the BMC
remotely over the LAN).

> You can also provide the -P option to set the user password on the
> command line. Try "man ipmitool" to see all options. The ipmitool
> provided by Dells OMSA is really power full.
When I try the -P option the tool ask me for the password anyway. Later
I got an error because I can't access the BMC remotely yet, but it seems
like it ignores the -P option. Is this right?

> Michael
Thanks a lot.

Regards, Mauro.