[Linux-PowerEdge] Accessing BMC or iDRAC when server is off.

Shine_KA at Dell.com Shine_KA at Dell.com
Mon Sep 23 23:26:55 CDT 2013

iDRAC will respond to ping and BMC will not respond to ping.
You can manage BMC system (both R310 and R410 in your case) using ipmi commands. BMC management capability will be limited when compared to iDRAC. For mange BMC system you need to install ipmitool on one of the client machine and below command will help you to perform power action
ipmitool -I lanplus -H <iDRAC/BMC IP> -U <iDRAC/BMC Username> -P < iDRAC/BMC Password> power <Options>
                        Where options can be status, on, off, cycle, reset

                        You can get a list of supported commands on ipmitool using below command

                        ipmitool -I lanplus -H <iDRAC/BMC IP> -U <iDRAC/BMC Username> -P < iDRAC/BMC Password>

ipmitool -I lanplus -H <iDRAC/BMC IP> -U <iDRAC/BMC Username> -P < iDRAC/BMC Password> <cmd>

                        You can download ipmitool application from below link

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-r310?driverId=YPH9W&osCode=WLHS1&fileId=3230149641&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SM

For managing iDRAC system (R410 in your case) you can use iDRAC Web GUI or Remote Racadm (CLI).

                        For more information on iDRAC please refer below links

                                    User Guide : ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_software/esuprt_remote_ent_sys_mgmt/integrated-dell-remote-access-cntrllr-6-for-monolithic-srvr-v1.95_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

                                    Racadm Guide : ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_software/esuprt_remote_ent_sys_mgmt/integrated-dell-remote-access-cntrllr-6-for-monolithic-srvr-v1.95_Reference%20Guide_en-us.pdf

                        For power action you can run below racadm command

                                    Racadm -r <iDRAC IP> -u <iDRAC Username> -p < iDRAC Password> serveraction <Options>

                                                Where options are gracefulshutdown, powerdown, powerup, powercycle, powerstatus
                                    For doing power action from iDRAC GUI refer section "Executing Power Control Operations on the Server" on iDRAC userguide

For installing OS refer below sections on iDRAC user guide. You need to have iDRAC enterprise to use these features
            Deploying Your Operating System Using VMCLI
Configuring and Using Virtual Media
Remote File Share

You can download remote racadm application from below link

                        http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-r310?driverId=6J8M0&osCode=WLHS1&fileId=3229451763&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SM

Thanks & Regards

Shine K A