[Linux-PowerEdge] Accessing BMC or iDRAC when server is off.

Mauro Antivero mauro.antivero at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 12:00:00 CDT 2013

Hello again to all.

As I said in later e-mails currently I have two servers, a R310 only
with BMC and a R410 with iDRAC 6. Both servers are running Debian 7.1
and have OpenManage installed and running.

At this moment I can acces OpenManage in both server using:

<eth0-IP>:1311

This, off course, when the server is on.

What I'm trying to do now is manage the server whe it's off, but I don't
know how to do that.

Both server has the correct IP configuration for management. The R410
responds ping to iDRAC IP, but the R310 don't responds ping to the BMC
IP. I read somewhere that the BMC don't respond ping, is that right?

In all case, besides the CLI (which I currently have no idea how to use
it - I downloaded the CLI manual but I don't read anything yet - ), is
there any other way to manage the server? For example turning it on or
install the SO (the last only with iDRAC).

Thanks a lot as always and regards.

Mauro.