[Linux-PowerEdge] Update to Dell R900 ESXI Host Fails

Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com
Sun Sep 22 09:08:24 CDT 2013

Hello, I don't think this error is similar to the one listed in the blog. Please provide the below log files to have a better understanding of the error.

1) From ESXi server, provide /var/log/esxupdate.log
2) From VUM server(windows), provide vmware-vum-server-log4cpp.log located at c:\programdata\VMware\VMware Update Manager\Logs

Thanks,
Krishnaprasad

-----Original Message-----
From: Roth, Edward J Mr LOSC/IT_Support [mailto:Edward.Roth at scls-llc.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:32 AM
To: K, Krishnaprasad
Subject: Update to Dell R900 ESXI Host Fails

Hi,

We have three Dell r900s we are attempting to load Dell Custom load ESXi 5.1 Update 1 (Build 1065491).  We are currently running Dell Custom Load ESXi 5.1 (Build 799733).  We are using VMWare Update Manager and are getting the error "Cannot execute upgrade script on host."   and the update fails at 92%.  Any ideas why?  I saw your blog @ http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2012/06/28/upgrade-from-dell-customized-vmware-esxi-5-0-to-a-later-update-using-dell-customized-esxi-5-iso-fails.aspx and wondered if it would help?  What are the implications if I try this:

>From the ESXi 5.0 shell, run the following commands.
                           ~# esxcli software vib remove -n Dell-Configuration-VIB
                           ~# esxcli software vib remove -n Dell-License-VIB

If the update still fails, will my ESXihost still function without those VIBs?

Thanks,

Ed Roth
Systems Administrator
SCLS