[Linux-PowerEdge] iDRAC mis-reporting PERC 6/i firmware version

Dale Dellutri daledellutri at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 10:06:32 CDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Dale Dellutri <daledellutri at gmail.com>wrote:

> Poweredge people:
>
> I just ran a firmware update on a Dell PE R710.  It updated the PERC 6/i
> firmware:
>
> =====
> Found firmware which needs to be updated.
> Running updates...
>  100% Installing pci_firmware
>  (ven_0x1000_dev_0x0060_subven_0x1028_subdev_0x1f0c) - 6.3.3-0002
> Done: The operation was successful. You must perform a reboot for
>  the update to take effect.
> =====
>
> So I rebooted the system (shutdown -r now), and logged into the web page
> of the DRAC, then clicked on "System Inventory".  This is what it reported
> for the PERC:
>
> =====
>
> RAID.Integrated.1-1
>     Type     PERC 6/i Integrated
>     Firmware Version     6.3.0-0001
> =====
>
> which was the previous version.  In case it needed a DRAC reset, I logged
> out
> of the DRAC web page, then:
>   # racadm reset soft
>
> Then logged back in, and it still showed the old info.  I logged out from
> the
> web page.
>
> I thought that maybe it needed a complete shutdown, so I did:
>   # shutdown -h now
> Then I re-powered it up, and watched the boot on the console screen.  When
> it got to info about the PERC, I typed ctlr-R to go into the PERC and it
> reported
> that the firmware was 6.3.3-0002, as it should be.  After it came all the
> way up,
> I re-logged into the iDRAC web page, and it is still showing the old,
> incorrect,
> info.
>
> Why is the DRAC web page showing the wrong info?

It's not cool to reply to one's own post, but I just figured out that the
firmwaretool
reports the correct firmware level, though the DRAC's web page still shows
the
incorrect version:

# firmwaretool --inventory
Wait while we inventory system:
System inventory:
    PERC 6/i Integrated Controller 0 Firmware = 6.3.3.0002

So what's the problem with DRAC web page?

--
Dale Dellutri