[Linux-PowerEdge] Very basic question - OMSA, IPMI, iDRAC and BMC

Elie_Jreij at Dell.com Elie_Jreij at Dell.com
Thu Sep 19 23:03:30 CDT 2013

Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
Slight correction: BMC, like iDRAC is running on an independent processor and implements the IPMI specification. OMSA uses IPMI commands (as a client) to communicate to iDRAC or BMC. On Dell 12th generation of servers, BMC and iDRAC are the same firmware and hardware with iDRAC functionality enabled through software licensing. The dedicated NIC is always present on series 600 and higher servers but it is an add-in card on 500 and lower servers. I included answers to your questions below.

From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Ray Robert
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:28 PM
To: Mauro Antivero
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] Very basic question - OMSA, IPMI, iDRAC and BMC

Sounds about right.
The iDRAC is an independent processor usually with its own NIC that can be reached independently of the operating system.

The IPMI and BMC are lower-level software layers on the operating system. OMSA is a higher layer.  The OMSA includes agents for dealing with iDRACs, including a GUI (port 1311) and tools for reporting on and configuring iDRACs on the current or other systems.

Ray Robert | Senior Administrator
503.284.7581 ext 242 | ray.robert at rentrak.com<mailto:ray.robert at rentrak.com>
RENTRAK | www.rentrak.com<http://www.rentrak.com/> | NASDAQ: RENT

Notice: This message is confidential and is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. If you have received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.