[Linux-PowerEdge] Very basic question - OMSA, IPMI, iDRAC and BMC

Ray Robert ray.robert at rentrakmail.com
Thu Sep 19 17:28:16 CDT 2013

Sounds about right.

The iDRAC is an independent processor usually with its own NIC that can be
reached independently of the operating system.

The IPMI and BMC are lower-level software layers on the operating system.
OMSA is a higher layer.  The OMSA includes agents for dealing with iDRACs,
including a GUI (port 1311) and tools for reporting on and configuring
iDRACs on the current or other systems.

Ray Robert | Senior Administrator
503.284.7581 ext 242 | ray.robert at rentrak.com
RENTRAK | www.rentrak.com | NASDAQ: RENT

Notice: This message is confidential and is intended only for the
recipient(s) named above. If you have received this message in error, or
are not the named recipient(s), please immediately notify the sender and