[Linux-PowerEdge] Very basic question - OMSA, IPMI, iDRAC and BMC

Mauro Antivero mauro.antivero at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 06:22:27 CDT 2013

As the title says, this is a very basic question.

Can anyone help me to understand what exactly are OMSA, IPMI, iDRAC and
BMC? As far as I know:

- OMSA: Utility to monitor and manage the server. In Linux for example
you have a web front end to do this things.

- IPMI: Common interface to computer hardware and firmware which system
administrators can use to monitor system health and manage the system.
Open source tools like ipmitool make this management simple. It is an
open standard which is maintained by the IPMI forum.

- iDRAC: A more advanced service processors that enable system
administrators to fully monitor and troubleshoot their servers. Two
questions about this:

We can say that iDRAC is more powerfull than IPMI?
iDRAC  covers all the features of IPMI plus many more?

- BMC: The controller behind IPMI. One question about that:

The BMC controller is only for IPMI?

Sorry for this basic questions. I'm now searching information about
that, but I find that the info is very spread and take time to understand.

Thanks a lot and regards.

Mauro.