[Linux-PowerEdge] Installin Debian 7.1 on Dell R410

Mauro Antivero mauro.antivero at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 10:54:45 CDT 2013

I'm trying to install Debian 7.1 Wheezy on an used Dell PowerEdge R410
with the following disk configuration (physical):

Slot 1: 1 TB SAS disk
Slot 2: 1 TB SAS disk
Slot 3: 2 TB SAS disk
Slot 4: Empty

PERC H200 SAS / SATA raid controller using the "SAS A" port from which
from which leaves two set of cables, each one of them is connected to
the "disk board" (the board on which the data and power connector of the
disks is connected).

The original installed system was Red Hat Linux Enterprise, with LVM
configuration. So, when I get to detect / partitioning disk I erase all
about LVM (actually I don't now anything about LVM so I erase all
partitions and start from scratch).At this point two questions arise:

1_

Disk in slot 2 is not recognized, only disk in slot 1 (1 TB) and disk in
slot 3 (2 TB).
Then, if I put away the disk in slot 3, and then take the disc that was
originally in slot 2 and bring it into slot 3 the installer only
recognized the disk in slot 1.
Then, if a put away the disk in slot 3 (1 TB disk from previous step)
and then put again the 2 TB disk in slot 3 the installer continues to
recognize only the disk in slot 1.

Note: Whenever I made a change I use the installer menu option "Detect
disks".

I believe that must be something related to the raid controller, but I
can't find it.

2_ At this point, the installer recognises only the disk in slot 1 and
in "Partitioning disk" section I found that the disk is recognized as
"Dell Virtual Disk", and I really don't know what this means.

I hope you can help me to understand what happening. My idea is to
install the system with the following disk configuration:

Disk in slot 1 and disk in slot 2 with raid 1.
Disk in slot 3 and future disk in slot 4 (I say "future" because the
slot is now empty) wuth raid 1.

I have not decided yet if I will use hardware or software raid.

Sorry for my ignorance abot hardware raid and LVM, but are new things
for me.

Thanks a lot and best regards.

Mauro.