[Linux-PowerEdge] C6145 ECC Error, how to find bad DIMM?

John Hanks john.hanks at usu.edu
Thu Jan 31 11:32:23 CST 2013

Sven,

In the web gui part of the BMC I found a table of SMI Handler events which
does list the DIMM slot along with the error, but like you I am drawing a
blank at a way to pull this information from IPMI. The 0x60 turned out to
be (I think) the number of the overall memory sensor that reports any
memory errors. And when I look at individual events I see the same thing
you have documented. In case it helps, for me

a10002 -> CPU A, DIMM 1
a10000 -> CPU A, DIMM 2
a10300 -> CPU D, DIMM 6

As a first step of troubleshooting I reseated these dimms and rotated
everything one slot, so if they really are bad and I see additional errors,
I'll have more data points but this is still less than satisfying as a way
to pull such information from ipmi and something that doesn't require
empirically testing each hardware phenotype would be much better.

But for the short term finding the SMI Handler event log solves my
immediate problem of locating the bad DIMM(s) without having to test
potentially all 32.

Also, Vincent's suggestion to look at edac-utils was a great pointer to a
really useful looking tool.

Thanks,

jbh