[Linux-PowerEdge] CentOS support from DELL

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+dell at betteradmin.com
Thu Jan 3 12:54:15 CST 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Giuseppe Tanzilli - Serverplan
<giuseppe at serverplan.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> we have a lot of DELL servers runing CentOS, when DELL will add CentOS
> as supported OS ?
>
> I think CentOS is installed in high number of DELL servers, but instead
> of simplify  life for customers DELL is making  harder and harder to use
> DELL servers with CentOS.
>
> An example is the new dset version 3.x, missing omsa support  etc.
>
> I understand,  it is a great effort to make it a certified OS, but at
> least make it an usable one,
> allowing the management tools like OMSA and dset to work.
>
> Basic functional testing on CentOS will be a great progress in the
> customers  direction .
>
> How many people here are using CentOS on DELL servers ?
> DELL listen us ! !
>
> Giuseppe

I think if you mean "officially supported" as if it is listed on a web
site somewhere that it says CentOS, don't be surprised.  Rarely is
CentOS listed on any commercial site that supports Linux, but they do
have RHEL listed.  The listing for RHEL implies that CentOS is
supported, because they are almost identical except for the name.

It is done this way for most commercial software, with a wink and a
nudge that "you know we also mean CentOS, right buddy?"  It's a touchy
subject for a company to openly support a free clone of commercial
software when they also support said commercial software.

❧ Brian Mathis