How do I stop the R210 bios issuing an ATA SECURITY FREEZE command?

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 16:47:42 CDT 2012

Hi,

It looks like the Poweredge R210 BIOS (but NOT the R210a BIOS) issues an
ATA SECURITY FREEZE command to all attached SATA drives on power-up.
This stops any ATA security commands being issued to the drive under
Linux (e.g. SECURITY ERASE UNIT etc.).

How do I stop it doing this?  I don't think I can see any options for it
in the R210 BIOS UI (v1.8.2).

Is there a non-UI-visible setting I can change to disable this "feature"
(i.e. by setting a "CMOS token")?

Thanks,

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.