PowerEdge R720

Santosh_Gore at Dell.com Santosh_Gore at Dell.com
Thu Apr 26 22:12:09 CDT 2012

Hi Brian,

The Dell repo does not contain support for R720 server. We are working on this and we will provide update once support is added in repository.

Thanks
Santosh
-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Brian Collins
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:55 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: PowerEdge R720

Good day folks.

We just received a PER720 to configure for a customer.  This looks like a nice progression, hardware-wise, but I have a few questions about it.
1. It has the iDRAC7.  We are running RHEL 5.7 & RHEL 5.8 on most of our servers today.  Will we be able to manage the iDRAC7 using the software (i.e. racadm) we currently get from http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/latest/ ?  I'm kickstarting it now and will install the software shortly to see.  But I suppose the more general question is, does the Dell repo contain software to support the 720 yet, particularly the iDRAC7?

2. We run memtest86+ (from http://www.memtest.org/), version 4.20.  I booted with the disc last night, and even though I enabled ECC checking several times, the program still showed ECC as off on the status page.  I use that same disc on 710 and 910 servers all the time and have never had that problem.  I looked up the memory and it is identified as ECC, according to the part numbers on it.  Does this mean memtest86+ needs updating?
3. Graphical BIOS?  Please, God, no.  'Tis slow (OK, that's not a question, just a geek gripe).

Thanks,
Brian Collins, RHCE
Sr. Systems Engineer
Southeastern Data Cooperative