PowerEdge R720

Brian Collins brianc at sedata.com
Thu Apr 26 12:24:44 CDT 2012

Good day folks.

We just received a PER720 to configure for a customer.  This looks like a nice progression, hardware-wise, but I have a few questions about it.
1. It has the iDRAC7.  We are running RHEL 5.7 & RHEL 5.8 on most of our servers today.  Will we be able to manage the iDRAC7 using the software (i.e. racadm) we currently get from http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/latest/ ?  I'm kickstarting it now and will install the software shortly to see.  But I suppose the more general question is, does the Dell repo contain software to support the 720 yet, particularly the iDRAC7?

2. We run memtest86+ (from http://www.memtest.org/), version 4.20.  I booted with the disc last night, and even though I enabled ECC checking several times, the program still showed ECC as off on the status page.  I use that same disc on 710 and 910 servers all the time and have never had that problem.  I looked up the memory and it is identified as ECC, according to the part numbers on it.  Does this mean memtest86+ needs updating?
3. Graphical BIOS?  Please, God, no.  'Tis slow (OK, that's not a question, just a geek gripe).

Thanks,
Brian Collins, RHCE
Sr. Systems Engineer
Southeastern Data Cooperative