HOWTO Linux browser to iDRAC7 console

David Eckelkamp deckelkamp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 16:04:01 CDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Dax Kelson <dax at gurulabs.com> wrote:

> >From my Fedora 16 Linux workstation I could successfully connect to an
> iDRAC6 console, but when I attempted to connect to an iDRAC7 console, I got
> a popup with "Connection failed.".
>
> In my ~/.xsession-errors file I had this:
>
> Certificate host:foo-idrac
> OS: Linux
> OS Ver: 3.3.2-1.fc16.x86_64
> m_ksFileName:/home/dkelson/.java/deployment/security/trusted.certs
> 04/24/2012 05:48:07:148:  Connection failed.
>
> I didn't have a /home/dkelson/.java/deployment/ directory.
>
> To fix this I I did the following.
>
> Connect to iDRAC7 console from a freshly installed Windows box using java
> (it worked). Search my Windows home directory for "trusted.certs", I found
> it under the "AppData" directory tree. There were actually two files,
> trusted.certs and trusted.jssecerts. FYI, the Windows box was using Java 7,
> I don't know if that made a difference.
>
> Back on my Linux box I ran:
>
> mkdir -p /home/dkelson/.java/deployment/security/
>
> I then copied the trusted.certs and trusted.jssecerts files from the
> Windows box to that directory.
>
> I was then able to successfully connect to the iDRAC7 console.
>
> Hopefully this information will help someone else.
>
> Dax Kelson
> Guru Labs

Wow!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  You have provided the key to the
mystery.

I have been experiencing pretty much the exact same error, but on a MacBook
Pro, using either FireFox or Safari. I opened a case with Dell, but wasn't
getting much closer to a solution. Though, to be fair, the tech did say
something the problem could be related to some cert problems with Java on
the Mac, so he was close.

The difference for a Mac (I'm running MAC OS X 10.6.8 - Snow Leopard, not
Lion) is the path. The command would be

  mkdir -p ~/.java/deployment/security

I got the same two trusted.* files from a windows box where I could connect
to the iDRAC7 and copied them to the above directory. After that I can
connect to the iDRAC7 on our shinny new R620 servers.

Again, thanks for posting the information. I'd give you a big hug if I
could reach though the network. :-)

David Eckelkamp