Advise for running VMs (was Re: New to the list :))

Todd Lyons tlyons at ivenue.com
Wed Apr 18 10:40:58 CDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Robert Terzi <rct-sub at r-t.org> wrote:

> Your ideal machine is a 64 bit x86_64 machine with a processor that
> has hardware virtualization support. Most of the Intel and AMD processors
> with the performance.  I suggest something that can a minimum of 8 GB,
> but 12 GB or 16 GB would be much better.  One advantage of using a desktop

+1

> To start out, the freely available VirtualBox.org is a nice, easy to use,
> and capable virtual machine monitor that supports different host operating
> systems (linux, windows, mac ox), and different guests.
> After you are comfortable you may want to experiment with other hypervisors
> such as Linux KVM, Xen, VMware, etc.

Virtualbox is a good choice.  Another really good choice is proxmox,
which lets you cluster servers, where you can spool up and migrate
back and forth all the KVM instances you want, all managed with the
built in web interface or via cli if you're so inclined.  I'm a
convert when it comes to proxmox.

...Todd
violent psychopath who knows where you live. -- Martin Golding