New to the list :)

Eric N. Jones eric.jones at transware.net
Tue Apr 17 09:28:58 CDT 2012

sorry, new here, resending with the proper subject line

Tobes,

   Welcome to the list (this is also might first post since joining in a few weeks ago).  Remember that a valuable asset in purchasing Dell server equipment on the cheap is to explore what's available on the dell outlet website (outlet.dell.com in the US).  It consists of refurbished current and last-gen hardware as well as systems that got scratched or dented in the manufacturing process.  You can typically pick up servers there starting at around $400 and they do come with the same warranty as their new equipment.  (Occasionally there are 15-20% off coupons but I haven't seen any in a long time, those are usually announced on their twitter page twitter.com/delloutlet). And even though Dell may shun the activity, you can pick up plenty of add-on equipment via ebay and the like such as extra drive sleds (Dell won't sell you these directly without a drive in them), PERC cards, etc.  Linux will run on any of these systems so don't worry about that.  If you want to play with multiple operating systems you might look at installing VMware's ESXI software.  It's free and installs on the bare hardware and can then be configured via the command line or a windows box and will let you set up as many VM's as you wish.

Good luck.
--
Eric N. Jones
Consultant