New to the list :)

John Alberts john.m.alberts at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 08:53:31 CDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 7:59 AM, J. Epperson
<Dell at epperson.homelinux.net> wrote:
> While true in general, the thing I almost invariably end up wanting but
> not having when I build servers on non-server hardware is a remote
> management interface like a DRAC or an ILO.  Being able to remotely power
> cycle and remotely mount CD/DVD images is huge when you're not always
> sitting beside the thing.

While I completely agree about the importance of some type of remote
management system for any production server, I wouldn't recommend a
student waste his money on it.  The DRAC and ILO solutions are great
and very easy to use.  I don't think there's a need to buy one to
learn how to use it.

I completely agree with James Bensley's comments.  Don't waste your
money on purchasing a server.  Unless, of course, you just want a
server to say you have a server. :)
Any old computer will do for learning Linux and any apps that you want
to learn along with it.  If you don't have another computer to use,
try using a free micro instance on EC2 to get started.

--
John Alberts