New to the list :)

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Tue Apr 17 07:59:29 CDT 2012

On Tue, April 17, 2012 08:07, James Bensley wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Don't be fooled into thinking a "server" is a special thing you have
> to buy from a hardware vendor. A 10,000ft view would be that a
> "server" is a purpose built computer, usually higher power than a
> typical desktop machine.
>
> You can build any old computer and start spinning up virtual machines
> on it, running your favourite operating systems, you don't have to buy
> a "server" per se.

While true in general, the thing I almost invariably end up wanting but
not having when I build servers on non-server hardware is a remote
management interface like a DRAC or an ILO.  Being able to remotely power
cycle and remotely mount CD/DVD images is huge when you're not always
sitting beside the thing.