Swap drives on servers

Donny Brooks dbrooks at mdah.state.ms.us
Mon Apr 16 07:17:37 CDT 2012

This is not specifically pertaining to linux but since the machines in question run linux I figured here would be as good a place as any to ask. I currently have two servers I would like to swap the drives around on. Here they are:

T710 w/ PERC6II, Serial Attached SCSI
8x 2TB, 7.2K, 3.5, SGT-MSK

2900 w/ PERC6I-INT Serial Attached, Scsi
8 300G, SERIAL ATTACHED SCSI..., DU, 15K, 3.5, SEAGATE..., 15K

	I want to put the 8 x 2TB sata drives in the 2900 and the 8 x 300GB SAS drives in the T710. Both are out of warranty so I am not worried about that. The reason being is the T710 was originally purchased to run our backuppc server but it quickly got repurposed into a xen host but the backuppc server is still on there just as a VM. We want to move the backuppc server to the 2900 since it only has a dual core cpu and 8GB ram. The T710 has dual quad cores and 32GB ram. I also have a Dell MD3200i that I can move all the data off of the servers onto for the move if possible since I know at a minimum I will have to format and redo the raid array.

	My main concern is that the drives in the T710 may not be compatible with the PERC in the 2900. Anywhere I can confirm this?

--
Donny B.