Expanding disk space in a RAID10 on R710

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+dell at betteradmin.com
Tue Apr 10 17:59:22 CDT 2012

I need to expand the disk space on an R710 with a PERC6/i.  It is
currently configured with 4 drives in a RAID10 with 1 hot spare.  This
is with 450GB disks.  I see 2 options without going to external
storage:

1. Swap out each of the 4 drives, one at a time, with larger ones,
then expand the RAID to fill the empty space.

2. Get rid of the hot spare and use the 2 remaining slots to expand
the RAID10 to 6 drives, and keep some cold spares on the shelf.

Has anyone performed either of these types of expansions?  The PERC6
docs mention that Online Capacity Expansion is not available for
RAID10, but does that apply for swapping drives for bigger ones, just
adding new drives, or both?  Would any of these be possible, even if
performed offline, without losing data?

❧ Brian Mathis