DRAC5 dies when SA loads

Jim Kusznir jkusznir at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 16:57:00 CDT 2012

Hi all:

I just did some "good preventative maintenance" on my Dell 1950 w/
DRAC5 card installed -- updated firmware versions of everything (I had
just finished recovering from a "rare corruption error", and found
that nearly all the firmware on my system had "urgent update
recommended" tags.

So, now that I'm running 1.6 on DRAC5, latest bios, and latest
versions of the OpenManage software available in the public repos, a
new issue cropped up.  When the box gets power, shortly after that I
can ping and log into the DRAC5 (which is running shared mode on nic0,
static IP (different from host), and all was working before the
upgrades.

Now, it works (I can ping it) up until the server administrator
software starts to load.  Something happens, and then all IP
connectivity to the DRAC5 disappears until I reboot the system.  It
will then repeat (once the software loads, all connectivity breaks).

This did NOT happen until I updated the DRAC5 to firmware 1.6.0 (I had
upgraded the server administrator without incident the previous day
and both were working).

Any suggestions / how do I fix this?

--Jim