linux freez on 3 Poweredge R310

Francesco Andreozzi francesco.andreozzi at proxime.it
Fri Apr 6 13:08:05 CDT 2012

Hi, thankyou for you reply...

On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 12:54 -0500, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> Quoting Francesco Andreozzi <francesco.andreozzi at proxime.it>:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I'm writing to the list because i have a serious problem on some
> > Poweredge R310 server.
>
> I run CentOS 5.x and 6.x on them without issue.

are you using 32bit or 64bit ?

> > On this server it is install debian 6 , kernel 2.6.32-5-686-bigmem
> > Nothing specially running on this server, some php script and a rrd
> > files.
>
> There is a known problem with the Ubuntu and SUSE kernels, which
> probably means
> that it also exists with the debian kernels.

whats kind of problem... i look on the web but i did not found anything

> > Problem happen on all 3 server, randomly and without any crash
> > information, just freeze... nothing on the console. Crash happen in just
> > one day or sometimes after 2 or 3 days... but 3 server... so every day I
> > have a crash!
>
> Kernel problem.  Change back to an older kernel, or google for this
> problem and see what you find out.

can you suggest some ? on my debian i updated to the latest version but
the new one in backports is now 3.x .. an update is quite difficult.

> > I suppose there are some incompatibility due to 32bit OS version.
>
> No, I think it is just a (or several) bad kernels which cause this.

you already hear about problem like that ? what can be the cause ?

thank you
Francesco